24.12.15

Chocolate Chip Walnut Oat Cookies

In case you guys haven't already caught on, my fam(ily), me included, is really into cookies. I mean, what's not to love? Portable, long-lasting, delicious, small, easy to sneak from the cookie jar... what did I miss? I already have a pretty long list of chocolate chip cookies I've made, but really, can you ever have enough? I definitely can't. And so I got thinking - I've done coconut, banana, almond/oat, almond/coconut, and peanut butter (all varieties of chocolate chip cookies!). I've also mentioned, on multiple occasions, that my sister isn't a big fan of nuts, and especially not in baked goods. So why did I go with walnuts? Well, here's the secret: I was actually baking a big batch of cookies to bring with me on my trip to India as a gift for my grandparents. They never stop talking about my baking! My grandpa is a massive walnut person, and toasted walnut chunks in chocolate chip cookies sounded fantastic!
My grandpa doesn't eat things that are overly sweet, so these walnut choc chip cookies were perfect. First off, they aren't too sweet to begin with. Second, the walnuts add a really wonderful, slightly bitter nuttiness (and lots of healthy fats!). And I decided (no surprise here) to use dark chocolate chips to limit the extra sweetness (dark is always the way to go anyway!).

I'm in India now, the weather is amazing, and my grandparents LOVED the cookies. It's always nice to put a smile on someone's face :) Shh... Don't tell them, but I may have snuck a cookie or few for myself as well!

Ingredients
Makes approximately 25 cookies
1 1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup baby oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
7/8 cup unrefined sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp honey
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted 

Instructions 
Preheat the oven to 170 C. Line a cookie tray with baking paper and set aside.

In a large bowl, stir together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and oats.

In a separate medium bowl, beat together the coconut oil and sugar. Whisk in the egg. Add the honey and vanilla and whisk again.

Create a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined (the dough will be relatively dry and crumbly.

Finally, fold in the chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.

Roll the dough into loose balls, place on the cookie sheet and flatten slightly. 

Bake for 12-17 minutes or until beautifully golden brown and slightly crisp to the touch (they will harden more as they cool). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment